What is a Nursing Assistant? The Nursing Assistant is a vital part of the healthcare team. As a Nursing Assistant you will work closely and under the supervision of a Registered Nurse who will assign and supervise your work. Some of your duties may include:
- Performing basic nursing tasks related to a person’s care. A nursing task is the nursing care or a nursing function, procedure, activity, or work that can be delegated to nursing assistants when it does not require an RN’s professional knowledge or judgment.
- You will complete this basic care for patients and residents who cannot do so for themselves.
- You will report your observations about a patient or resident’s physical or mental status immediately.
- The healthcare team will create a care plan that you will follow closely in providing the correct care for a resident.
- You will only complete the work that is in your job description and scope of practice.
(Mosby’s Nursing Assistant Textbook)
- Use of Textbook, gait belt, and blood pressure cuff and lab supplies
- Uniform top
- TB Test by serum
- Registered Nurse led state board skills intensive
- CPR Adult Health Care Provider (approx. cost) $35-$55 (online only class will be not accepted)
- Uniform pants (approx. cost) $15-$20
- Watch with A Second Hand (approx. cost) $15- $35
- Medical exam for Health and Fitness Declaration (approx. cost) $50-$75
- Drug Test if required for clinical placement (approx. cost) $30
- Chest X-ray if needed for TB Clearance (approx.cost) $55
- State Board Certification Fees
- Written- $30
- Skills- $88
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant course at Valley Vocational Academy, you will be eligible to test through Headmaster/D&S Diversified at the school. Upon passing your boards, you may apply for your CNA certification.
Before class begins – if student withdraws within 3 business days student will receive a full refund- including the $250.00. If withdrawal occurs, more than 3 business days after enrollment, student will forfeit registration fee up to $200.00. After start of class, refund will be prorated as stated in the student handbook.
- communication and interpersonal skills, professionalism
- infection control
- safety and emergency procedures
- promoting residents’ independence
- respecting resident rights
- basic nursing skills:
- bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, assisting with eating and hydration, proper feeding techniques, skin care and transfers, positioning and turning
- mental health and social service needs:
- how to respond to residents’ behavior and how to monitor aide’s behavior to residents’ behavior
- awareness of developmental tasks associated with the aging process
- care of cognitively impaired residents:
- Techniques for addressing the unique needs and behaviors of the dementia patient
- communicating with cognitively impaired residents
- understanding the behavior of cognitively impaired residents
- appropriate responses to the behavior of cognitively impaired residents
- methods of reducing the effects of cognitive impairments
- basic restorative services
- training the resident in self-care
- use of assistive devices in transferring, ambulation, eating, and dressing
- range of motion
- proper turning or positioning in bed and chair
- bowel and bladder training
- use of prosthetic and orthotic devices
- end of life care
- Age 16 and older
- Proof of citizenship or legal resident status
- Admissions test to assess English language, reading and math skills necessary to comprehend course materials and perform duties safely.
- No active felony (ARS32-1606) in the past 3 years which not been resolved by an absolute discharge
- Background check as required by clinical site
- Flu vaccination as required by clinical site (certain times of the year)
- Medical clearance from medical provider
- Negative TB test or negative chest x-ray results no older than 6 months
Length: 4 Weeks
1st Week: Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm
2nd Week: Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm
3rd Week: Mon-Wed 8:00am-3:00pm &
Fri 8:00am-12:00pm Finals
4th Week: Monday-Thursday 6:00am-4:30pm
Length: 7 Weekends
Weekends Sat. & Sun. 7am-5pm
Weekends Sat. & Sun. 6am-6:30pm